Friday, August 7, 2015

Hexie Fever

I know this a long time coming, but Summer has swept past me like I was standing still.  School will start here in just about 3 weeks or so. 

Sarah Sponda did quite well (cough, cough) ~ for the most part ~ on her hexies!  Once she married the vintage fabrics she found in my stash and created her first two "Flower" blocks it was on like Donkey Kong! 


 
 

Keep in mind, now, this was not her original intent.  Her original project was a rag quilt she started last year.  That took back seat to the Grandmother's Flower Garden she had planted in her head. With that said, off we went to collect more "blossoms".   She wanted a vintage vibe with a new look.  Okie dokie. No argument here.





The flower with the bright pink center has vintage fabrics on the outer two rings.  Can't seem to get away from it.  That's okay by me. 

I decided to teach her how to sew them the way I learned.  I know most people tend to "paper piece" hexies, but, honestly, that intimidates me.  Sewing using 1/4" seams is easy enough providing you have cut your hexies correctly and you use the same seam allowance all the way through.  We had a bit of an "issue" on a couple.  Nothing a little patience and help from the teacher couldn't fix though. 
She managed to get six done with several more cut out for the next visit.  They are quite large ~ which is good for a beginner.  She used a four inch hexie.  I must admit, I really like the size!  I can't wait until she gets them all done and put together!  Oh, what a beautiful garden that will be!


Sew, until next time,
Lovely Daydreams From the Land of Cotton!

No comments:

Post a Comment